- Keep the breathing passageways and lungs clear:
- Using equipment such as an " In-Exsufflator ", Which our grandchildren renamed after the Sesame Street Character " Mr. Snuffaluffagus ".
- Rest the breathing muscles:
- Bi-pap (ventilation with a mask), Donna referred to Herself as a " Jet fighter Pilot ".
- Prevent weight loss:
- Feeding tube - Bypassing that which no longer functions adequately , such as the swallowing muscles.
- Saliva Control:
- Hand held suction device , various medicines and low level irradiation treatments.
- Safely moving about:
- By using handrails, wheeled walkers, wheelchairs (including Head and neck support attachments), and a ceiling mounted transportable lift, allowing for safe transfers,
and warm stimulating baths on a regular basis.
- The" Miracle "of still being able to:
Focus on "What you are able to do", as opposed to "What you are unable to do"
With the primary goal of-
- - Maintaining good nutrition & range of motion, while continuing strategies to reduce the risk of falls , pneumonia or hospitalizations of any kind.
Donna met each challenge with a grateful smile,
in a manner that continually provided new hope for others,
while acknowledging God's loving assistance
every step of the way!